It Becomes Your Reality (Blog 5, 6/13)

Don Quixote, if that is in fact his real name, loses his mind to the world of books; incidentally, I feel the same way—though … okay … I suppose it is for different reasons. Anyway, he loses himself in the romance and chivalry of a time hundreds of years before him. So obsessed and possessed does he become with reading these tales and living in their fictional worlds that his perception of what is real and what isn’t begins to morph. The narrator says of Don Quixote, “The idea that this whole fabric of famous fabrications was real so established itself in his mind that no history in the world was truer for him” (Cervantes 27). For DQ, reality and fiction are no longer in their proper places; they have reversed. The quote says that “no history in the world was truer for him”: what the narrator means by this is that the fictional world has become his reality to the extent that the real world, to his eyes, has come to resemble the fictional one. Even though chivalry and the knightly ways are dead, to him it still very much exists; they exists, in fact, to such an extent that he ventures out to become a knight errant just like the kinds he’s read so much about. He’s a madman—a funny madman, to be sure—but a madman nonetheless; still, though, I have to admire him for his unrelenting tenacity in pursuing his dream. I read a lot of fantasy, and though I hope my mind doesn’t fracture like DQ’s, I always imagine how cool it would be to live in one of those worlds.

Like I said in class, Christopher Nolan’s Inception is a great example of how this works. If you haven’t seen the film, you must. Any Christopher Nolan film is spectacular, at that; see them all. Here’s a trailer for Inception: